Italian Stuffed Peppers Casserole
- 2 cups Vero Gusto Tomato & Basil sauce
- 2 cups Barilla Orzo
- 6 multi-colored peppers (red, yellow, orange), cut in 1/2 vertically
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 3 zucchini, diced small
- 1 1/2 cup broccolini, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup kale, chopped (no stems)
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- In a sauce pot, bring Vero Gusto to a simmer. Cook Orzo according to package directions and set aside.
- Cut peppers in half vertically, seed then brush with 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, remove and cool.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add shallots, garlic, celery and remaining extra virgin olive oil. Season and cook until soft or about 2-3 minutes. Add broccolini, zucchini, kale and re-season. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add olives and walnuts, mix and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl place orzo, 2 C. of the Vero Gusto, the vegetable mixture, ½ of the cheese, ½ of the parsley, ½ of the basil and mix together.
- Spread ½ of the remaining sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Stuff mixture into the pepper halves and place into casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 min.
- Remove foil, top peppers with remaining cheese, and return to the oven for 5 min., or until light brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with remaining herbs. Serve with remaining sauce.
Tomato & Basil
> Learn More
Like this recipe? 24
People who liked this recipe also liked...
- Chicken & Seafood
- Pasta & Pizza