Sides • Vegetarian
Saffron Vegetable Barley Medley
- 1 jar of Vero Gusto Sicilian Herb
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, 1/2" diced
- 1 small eggplant, 1" diced
- 1 red bell pepper, 1" diced
- 1 yellow red pepper, 1" diced
- 2 zucchinis, rondels 1/3" thick
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut 1" on a bias
- 1 can (16oz) chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups barley
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts in a dry non-stick skillet over medium heat
- Salt, pepper and saffron to taste
- Place a pot of water to boil. Season with salt and a pinch of saffron and boil barley until thoroughly cooked.
- In a separate skillet, sauté onion with olive oil for three minutes, add eggplant, peppers and zucchini, season with salt, black pepper and a pinch of saffron and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini, asparagus, raisins and chickpeas and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in Vero Gusto sauce and bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over barley, topped with fresh basil and toasted pine nuts before serving.
> Learn More
Like this recipe? 1
People who liked this recipe also liked...
- Chicken & Seafood
- Pasta & Pizza